The legal forerunners of the Rózsi Vályi Library of the Hungarian Dance Academy were: The Specialist Library of the Grammar School and Primary School of the State Ballet Institute (founded in 1961) and the Methodological Collection of the State Ballet Institute (founded in 1968).
Former heads of the school library were: 1961-65 Mrs László Berecz, 1966-70 Mrs.Endre Dudich, 1970-87 Mrs Endre Dudich and István Tálasi. Heads of the Methodological Collection were: 1958-81 Dr. Emma Lugossy, 1981-83 Mrs András Balogh Lilla Bozóki, 1983-87 Gabriella Konrád Ludovika.
The two departments were combined in 1987 as the Library of the Academy under the leadership of Gabriella Konrád Ludovika, who was in turn followed by Mrs Bíró Irén Tóth. Since 2011 the head of the library has been Péter Herke.
When it was first established, the library operated in the headquarters of the Academy at 25 Andrássy Road in Dreschler Palace. In 2001 the collection was transferred to the basement of the central building of the Academy's campus in Columbus Street. This set-up although originally only planned as an interim solution, ended up functioning for ten years.
In November 2011, all the material in the library's collection was transferred to a location within a new building which met the required high professional standards on campus. On December 9, the library adopted the name of dance historian Rózsi Vályi, one of the founding teachers at the State Ballet Institute.
The Rózsi Vályi Library performs the various tasks vital to a secondary school, a tertiary college and a dance art specialist library. Essentially it provides the relevant information and documents required by the lecturers, researchers, students and staff at the Hungarian Dance Academy.
The Rózsi Vályi Library of the Hungarian Dance Academy is a public institution. Anyone accepting the regulations for its use can become a member of the library.